Finally
My first year of graduate school is officially over! I just emailed my very last paper (which I procrastinated the hell out of), a minute ago. I kinda phoned it in because I just wasn't interested in writing it, considering the semester ended last week. But I figure it will get me a solid B in the class if my teacher just skims through it. Such high goals.
But Yay!!!! for the semester being over. This semester was actually pretty straight up until spring break rolled around. Then the papers and projects became a reality. I was so excited to learn that none of my classes had final exams, but I seriously didn't consider the implications of having 3 papers and 3 final projects all due within the same 2 weeks. Silly me.
Regardless, I lived through it. Next up on the school front is to narrow down my thesis topic and to take my comprehensive exams over the summer.
As you can surmise, the past 3 months of my life have been reading, writing, work, and occasionally sleep. I think I got some eating done in there somewhere because I've definitely put on a few pounds. Nothing noticeable to anyone else, just to me.
Oooh, some exciting news. I went on a job interview two Fridays ago at 9:00 am and was hired later on that same day at 2:00 pm! And it basically the perfect job for me (or so I hope). I'll be heading up the entire educational department for a 400 acre environmental/historical preserve. This includes everything from teaching, training, developing curriculum, take school groups on tours, snorkeling/kayaking/canoe trips, and outreach. What more could I want? I mean it will probably be a shit load of work, but it is finally the next step up that I needed in my career.
And it was certainly great to resign from my crappy part-time job. They almost started crying and begging me to stay. I guess they finally saw the type of work that non-lazy people with real experience and knowledge about the job can do. They were planning on moving me up to full time, but I knew that they would low ball me on the salary, as well as keeping me at a position that I was completely over qualified for. But the fates smiled on me and I was able to escape. Especially from the dreadful summer program that I saw them planning and the poor staff and business management going on.
I am so looking forward to this new job. I wish I had time off between the two jobs, but it wasn't possible. I begin in less than 2 weeks. The only sad part is that I won't get to finish out the school year with my current students, but they'll only have a week and a half left after I leave anyway. Plus, they're fourth and fifth graders, they have short memories when it comes to adults. I have one student who tells me that she hates teacher 1 and loves teacher 2, but the following day she loves teacher 1 and hates teacher 2.
In other news, there's been this guy. We'll call him D. He's a cool guy, and I consider him to be a friend. But I think he thinks we are dating. It could be because I let him kiss me because I felt bad (and was drunk!). But I think my mistake was not clarifying after that that I wasn't interested in anything beyond friends. Stupid, stupid mistake.
But it makes me feel so bad, because he is a really, really nice guy. Then again, that's probably the reason I'm not interested in dating him. He's way too tame. I like smart guys, who can be loud and obnoxious at times, and they have to tell dirty jokes and have filthy language, because I curse like a motherfucking sailor, tell politically incorrect jokes, enjoy my damn sarcasm, as well as my ability to piss people off with the right sentence, and don't believe in censorship. Him, not so much. Not for me. Hanging out with him is like hanging with a parent. I don't know how much I should keep to myself.
Last night we hung out and watched Tr@nsformers (why didn't anyone tell me it was awesome!), and he decided to walk me home (I like about 2 blocks down the street). I just knew he was going to try to kiss me again. And he did, but he was very unsure; and me being the bitch that I am, when he second-guessed himself, I just said, "Well, see you later!" and ran up the stairs. So mean!! But I swear that the next time he tries to make a move, and that is assuming that he'll talk to me again after that, I'll be honest with him. :-D
I think that's enough of an update for now. Hopefully, once my brain regains its firmness, I'll return to a regular updating schedule.
Peace.
Edited to add:
Ooh. I knew I forgot something! Remember my bitch ass boss from my last job, who was the main reason I quit because she was fucking psychotic? Well, karma finally came around and bit her in her ass. Sometime in March, she was asked to resign; everyone else finally saw through all her bullshit. I believe that today was her last day. And you know what's even more awesome? It's the fact that she's telling people that the reason she's leaving is because she's decided to move to Africa to teach poor African children or to Germany to work with sick people in a hospital. I guess the story she tells depends on the personality that's in charge that day. Crazy biatch!
3 comments:
-
Super yayness on the new job - it sounds cool! s x
-
Yay for you! Done with your first year of grad school and a new job, which sounds awesome!
I'm with you on the tame guys - they're just too boring and tough to get rid of! I don't think you were too mean to him, but you can rectify that later. ;)
-
YAAAAyyy for the job, that sounds like SO much fun, taking them on snorkeling trips & all! YAYYY! Congrats.
I know what you mean about "nice" guys too... It sucks!! What the hell. But what can you do. I don't think you could be 'mean', so don't worry!
Hope it goes well saying goodbye to the students!