All By Myself

Is there anything more uncomfortable than going to a party where the only person you know is the host? So by default, you're there is no one to talk to because the host is working the room and you're pretty much alone.

That's how I felt last night. And because I generally don't like people or talk to people I don't know most of the time, it kinda sucked. So I just took off. Hey, at least I showed my face, because I almost didn't make it out there.

It also didn't help matters that my wedges broke while I was walking; the bottom wedge part separated from the part that was attached to my foot and was just flapping every time I took a step. Luckily, I had another pair of shoes in the car that I could switch into. They didn't match, but whatever.

This was my second pair of shoes, favorite shoes, that this has happened to. I think it's because I would leave them in the car and the heat melted the glue. I googled to see if there was anything inexpensive that I could do. There were some suggestions of G0rilla Glue. I tried it and it seems to have worked. I guess the next test will be to wear them out for a night and see how they hold up.

This week was pretty good. Work is still great, despite that one of our campers has been (allegedly) stealing wallets. My boss wants to set up a sting operation, but so far we've only been able to speculate on who it might be without any proof. And without proof, we can't really do much of anything.

We had a youth group this week from a bapt!st church that was supposed to participate in an archaeological dig. The director called me the day before to give me the following directions, "I know that you all may think of history on a scale of millions or billions of years. But we believe in scales of thousands of years. So I hope that you can keep that in mind when you talk about dinosaurs or what not." I said that I understood, and that it wouldn't be a problem because we would be discussion archaeology, which has nothing to do with dinosaurs.

It's amazing that in this day and age, that people refuse to believe in things that have been proven. I can see where people's hesistations about evolution may come in...it's something that can't normally be witnessed within a lifetime so it may seem a lot like speculation. I'm okay with that. But to deny the existence of dinosaurs and their relative age because they weren't mentioned in the B!ble, even as bones and evidence continue to be discovered just seems silly to me. But to each his own.

When we actually did the dig and the kids found all sorts of sea shells, I asked how they thought the shells got there. Most of the students correctly answered that the Nat!ve Amer!cans that lived in the area ate lots of sea snails. One kid raised his hand and said, "Well, I think that when g0d sent the flood to kill everyone and N0ah built the boat, that the sea shells were left over afterwards." I looked at the kid and said in what I hoped was a non-sarcastic tone, "Okay, well that certainly is an interesting theory. Now my next question....." It just made me laugh.

I hope everyone had a nice relaxing weekend.

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said,

    One of the museums in the park is going to host a Darwin exhibit in the fall. The religious right is already protesting. *sigh*

    And about the party thing - I hate parties - even when I know people there.

    on 7/13/09, 10:42 AM


  2. Anonymous said,

    WOW, even in this day & age! I know that goes on out there, but I still get shocked every time. Poor kid!!

    Anyway, glad you are there to help teach them some things, & can keep your sense of humor!! (We can only hope that someday they will learn different!)

    Oh, I feel the same way at parties, my problem is terrible shyness... I am never good at talking to people I don't know either!! But I'm afraid I end up either looking like a wallflower or else (to my horror) like I'm stuck-up...

    on 7/14/09, 11:57 AM