Out With the Old

Here is my second Text Mania entry. So much for this being once a week! :-D

"'I swag. I surf. I feel like dish detergent.' Yes, those are lyrics I just heard on the radio!"

From my friend E. A day or 2 before she sent me this, we were discussing how new music kinda sucks ass because no one knows what the hell they are talking about. Case and point!

--

I am slowly working through my grieving process. I still do get a little teary eyed at some instances (like when Janet came out at the end of the crappy ass B3T awards to thank the fans for their support - honestly, she held it together longer than I did; I started bawling as soon as she began to speak) but I'm slowly accepting that one of my major idols is gone. I think that I'll probably be unable to function whenever Pr!nce goes (but I think he's an immortal; he hasn't aged in about 20 years!).

Besides being sad about MJ, things have continued to go well for me. I'm stilling loving work and my boss. I love that she just gets it, and that she truly understands what it means to do quality work and what it means to mission driven. I was so sick and tired of hearing people say that they were committed to the mission of the organization, when in reality they were just paying lip service. This may seem silly, but when you work for a non-profit, and you are therefore not driven by making mega bucks (cause it just doesn't happen!), then the mission is the key. And it's a disservice to the kids, students, community, etc that we are supposed to cater to when your boss just doesn't understand.

But this tangent is besides the point. What I was trying to say is that I love the job, and I really believe that things will only get better from here.

--

Yesterday, I went to the hairdresser. This was the first time in about 10 years that I have had someone else do my hair. In the entry link posted above, I mentioned how much I detest going to the hairdresser and getting my hair done. I started taking care of my own hair about 5 years ago and before that my mom did it. But I decided that I needed to get my hair professionally trimmed, because in the last few months, it's gotten damaged and broken and lots of split ends. And I also decided that I would like a style; something that would be easy to take care and cute.

Long story short, I went to a hairdresser that my mom recommended. I told her that I needed a cut. She asked if I had anything in mind. I replied that I know nothing about hair, so if she could just give me something simple. I also asked that it not be too short because I do work outside everyday and I would need to be able to pull my hair off my neck and up into one (Miami humidity is a bitch!).

This is what I ended up with:



Now don't get me wrong. I think it's super cute! But what the hell! She obviously doesn't understand what it means to be able to pull your hair back into one. Plus, my hair has never, ever been this short before. I mean, about 3 years ago, after a pretty hellacious summer, my hair ends were so damaged from the strap of the snorkel mask, that I cut a good 2 inches off, and I cut it at an angle so that the hair at the front was shorter and sloped to the length of the back. To put things into perspective, my hair used to reach past my shoulders. Now, that was short for me, because I had pieces on the side that couldn't reach my ponytail that I would have to secure with bobby pins. But my hair had grown past that (finally) about 8 months ago. Now I'm literally starting from scratch!

The good thing is that my hair feels awesome and healthy now. The bad part: short hair is soooooo much more work. Now I have to make sure that I moisturize and wrap my hair every night (which the stylist had to teach me how to do - how I manage to be the only black woman who doesn't know how to wrap hair is beyond me!). And in the morning, since I can't pull it back, I will actually have to make the effort to comb and style it.

I do think that is makes me read a bit older too. I don't know. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. And I know some of you rock the short hair ( and rock it well Stephie and SoMuchSugar!), so leave me some tips too!

I hope you all have a great 4th of July! I know I'm certainly looking forward to all the grilled food that I will gorge myself on!

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said,

    Oh for cute! That haircut is truly sweet! But I see you point about not being able to tie it back. Bummer on that account. :)

    on 7/4/09, 1:12 PM


  2. razor-vixen said,

    You look really cute!! I hate it when hairstylists don't listen to you though...and once they've cute, you can't take it back! Don't worry, hair grows. You can rock this look!

    on 7/4/09, 10:05 PM


  3. Anonymous said,

    OH you look beautiful, I know it is shorter than you'd asked for, but look how great it sets off your beautiful face!! (I can never get a hairdresser to adhere to my details when I get a haircut; it is painful every time. WTF?!)

    But you are definitely rockin' it. I think you will get used to it & love it! Hope you had a great 4th, & sorry about MJ darlin'...

    on 7/6/09, 3:40 PM