And Summer Begins
This was a pretty uneventful Memorial Day Weekend for me. I did nothing but workout and watch movies.
I went to yoga for the first time in about 6 months. Can I tell you that every single muscle in my body hurts...but it's a good pain. It's the kind of pain that lets you know that you had a good workout.
It's sad to say that yoga was the most exciting part of my weekend, although I saw some pretty good movies:
- The new Indiana Jones - very good, although I couldn't stop commenting inside my head at how old Harrison Ford looks now.
- Things We Lost in the Fire - great movie; had me in tears for 80% of it. I was also glad to see that they didn't go the route of having the wife fall in love with her dead husband's best friend and vice-versa.
- Before the Devil Knows Your Dead - Had never heard of this before, just saw on the shelf at the video store and decided to pick it up. Another great movie, with an original plot/storyline
- 30 Days of Night - what can I say, I love Vampire movies. And I liked this one...very gorey. Although, it's kind of silly to think that vampires have been around all this time and never knew that there were parts of the world that lacked sunlight at a certain time of year. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had discovered this like a couple centuries ago, and hit different towns every 50 years or something like that.
- There Will Be Blood - Now this was a crazy ass movie!! From beginning to end. It was very well told, but even so, half the time I felt like I didn't know what the hell was going on, even though I did. I don't know. But, Daniel Day Lewis, of course, was incredible.
- Atonement - I'm watching this now. And let me just say that the previews for this did not do it justice at all. I recall having no interest in seeing it, but it is pretty good.
So, I submitted my grad school application last week. The only thing is that I haven't heard back from 2 of the 3 professors that I asked for recommendations, so that should be interesting. All I have to do now is sit and wait. So we'll see.
Back to work tomorrow. Not excited about that. We go back to a full office (everyone has been out for various reasons the past 2 weeks) and I have to call 50 students/parents to remind them to come in on Saturday. Oh joy!
Oh, I forgot. I finally finished the book I was reading. "Crash" by J.G. Ballard. This book was...interesting. It was about people who, after being in near-death experiences from car crashes, became sexually aroused by everthing related to automobiles, cars, highways, etc. They would go to fresh accident sites, take pictures, and then go off to parking garages or under overpasses to reinact the positions they saw the crash victims' bodies in, sexually. It was quite graphic and a bit odd. There was a movie made from it in the late 90s directed by David Cronenberg and starring James Spader and Holly Hunter. I never saw the movie, but remember seeing the previews for it. I think it was given an NC-17 rating or something.
That book was the most excitement I've gotten in weeks.
2 comments:
-
Oh I LOVED "before the devil knows you're dead" -- and "there will be blood". I do still need to see "things lost in the fire", though it sounds sad.
You'll hear back soon from those professors, I'm sure -- sorry you have to wait though, that sucks.... How do you do yoga, I am so impatient, I don't know how I could be so still & peaceful for so long!
(p.s. do NOT see the movie "crash" -- the one based on that book... It was awful! Maybe the book, though odd, is better. The other 'crash' was good though, the oscar-winner.)
-
This comment has been removed by the author.