Let There Be Light

Had a long and busy weekend. We actually had Friday through Monday off, which was nice, but sometimes I don't know what to do with myself when I have so much available time.

I didn't end up going to the Bahamas, mainly because I realized I was pretty broke. So I ended up running errands and working.

Friday, I went to my rescheduled dentist appointment. Nothing new, besides the dentist. My lovely Dr. C0hen retired. He was awesome. The new guy isn't bad but he's definitely from the school of impersonal docs.

Later on that night, the light swtich in my bathroom broke. Something inside the switch, like a spring, snapped and left the toggle all floppy. I basically had to get ready in the dark before I went to meet up with some people for a couple drinks. I can't vouch for how I looked.

Saturday, I went to work for a few hours. And watched the end of a 7+ friendship.

Working with high schools kids never lacks for entertainment. There is ALWAYS drama. Especially with the girls.

Long story short: Z found out that V slept with her ex-boyfriend. Or Z's ex-boyfriend told her that he slept with V. Depends on how you see things. In both scenarios, V denies it.

My take, in my elderly opinion (because we adults see things these kids think they're so good at hiding), is that she did sleep with him. She fucked up because she has a big mouth and told several people who then relayed the info back to Z (which is not the first time this had happened!). However, I think the ex is playing both sides. I think that he wanted to get back at Z, and what better way to do that than to sleep with her best friend. Why else would he call up Z himself and freely tell her all this. To stir up shit that's why.

Anyway, so Z came on Saturday, not for the Test Prep class, but with the sole intention on kicking V's ass. So I spent all day trying to avoid World War 3.

Glad to say that I was successful in my endeavor, however, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow when they have the same classes all day. I know both of them have been stewing.

Hung out with Ames Saturday night. It was a girls' night out and it was fun not having to deal with those knuckle heads. I haven't had a girlfriend like Ames in a while, so it's nice to have someone of the female persuasion to open up to about things you wouldn't necessarily want to share with your guy friends. We spent most of the night talking and that was cool.

I spent most of Sunday playing electrician. I did my research on replacing light switches, made a trek to H0me Dep0t, and came home and got to work.

I was working on that bitch for over 4 hours before I realized I had the wrong type of switch. The geniuses who wired the lights in the bathroom used a 3-way switch instead of a regular one.

A 3-way switch is used for a light that can be operated by 2 separate switches. For example, think of a long hallway that has one light, but a switch on each end of the hall to controll it. Both of those switches are considered to be 3-way because up and down doesn't necessarily mean on and off. Well, there is only one switch the controls the light in the bathroom, so why the hell is there a 3WS operating it. The only explanation is that they fucked up something somehow, because even the original wiring they did looked nothing like the schematics.

But I left it alone, got the right swtich, and connected it how they had it cause I know it atleast works that way. And now I no longer need to get ready in the dark. I think the rest of the world will be pleased.

--

In other news, how excited was I today to find a Firefly marathon on the SciFi channel. I watched it from 8 am to 7 pm. I also multi-taksed and finshed the book I was reading, Skipping Towards Gomorrah. Great book. It made me laugh and think.

And now I'm excited to start my next one. I've been slow in my reading, but I'm still chugging along. It's been taking me forever to read this year. I think I usually read 3 books per year, but I'll read a book within a 2-4 week period and then not pick up another book until a few months later. This year has been the opposite; it's been taking me about 3 to 4 months to finish a book, but I would start the next one immediately. Even today, I read the first 45 pages of my next book.

Now considering that the rate I purchase books is vastly greater than the speed at which I read them, I'm not catching up anytime soon. I mentioned to someone the other day that buying music is one of my addictions. Well, buying books is the other one. I probably buy about 8-10 books a year! And I just can't help myself when I walk into places like B0rders or Barnes & Noble and they have all those bargain books right by the front entrance. And lets not even talk about the Annual Book Fair. It's like my cr@ckhouse.

I'll get back to reading and watching Making the Band now.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said,

    Wow, I'm impressed that you fixed your light switch. I could never figure out something like that.

    on 2/19/08, 10:20 PM


  2. Anonymous said,

    (I'm sorry you didn't get to go to the Bahamas!) I am very impressed at your light-switch knowledge -- I would have NEVER figured that out!

    I am the same as you with books... I love those discount carts!! (Did you get a Borders Card? You can get money off!)

    on 2/21/08, 6:37 PM