It's a Family Affair

My mom and sister were here this weekend. This is the second time in 3 weeks that they've come to visit me. Although, both times, they came with the sole purpose of shopping.

They arrived early Friday morning and left early this morning. So it was quite suprising that my mom waited until last night, as we were driving to dinner, to nonchalantly say, "So [finance] and I aren't getting married anymore. he was cheating out on me and I kicked him out of the house." And that was it. Then she just went on talking about something else. Like the wedding hasn't been in the works for over 3 years, was taking place in less than 2 months, and the invites just mailed less than 2 weeks ago.

What the fuck? I didn't pry. I really didn't want to know the details. And to tell you the truth, I kind of felt this coming. This might make me a bad daughter, but I could see that the marriage wasn't really going to last anyway, so I was just going through the motions. For example, they bought a house "together", yet my mom insisted it only be in her name. She talked to him like he was her child, not her equal. She would always bad mouth all of his family at every opportunity she could get. I just took it all in. So I was shocked at the way she dropped the bomb, but not necessarily at the news.

Should be an interesting family reunion, especially considering that the wedding was supposed to be the culminating event.

My family is all kinds of insane.

 

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said,

    That is so weird she would just mention it like that... How strange.

    And no, seeing it coming does NOT make you a 'bad daughter' -- it just shows you are insightful and smart.

    (I am catching up; missed you! Thanks for your notes!)

    on 4/15/08, 5:28 PM